It is possible to apply tourist routes and tours of the desired viewing sites in Lubāna district Tourism and Cultural Heritage Centre
Address: O.Kalpaka iela 4, Lubāna, Madonas novads, Latvia, LV-4830
Working hours: Tuesday – Friday 9:00 – 18:00
Saturday 10:00 – 14:00
Phone: +371 26374962
Sightseeing with Miķelis Gruzītis
During the excursion the visitors have an opportunity to get to know the most significant places of the town, as well as “to wade into the blooming marshy meadows of the Aiviekste” and sing some popular melodies together with the former head of Lubāna city council Miķelis Gruzītis.
Phone: +371 29164331
Tourist route "Scan the Nature"
There is not necesarry for guide to explore the tourist route “Scan the Nature”. The checkpoints of the route are 14 info boards, with information about every object included in the route. To get more information about the objects you just have to scan
QR code or use the link on info board. The map of the route you can receive in tourism information centre Oskara Kalpaka street 4 – 3.
This fallow land, overgrown with lindens and low- branched oaks, near Aiviekste, has been used by the citizens of Lubana for a very long time as an outdoors place for social gatherings. Various outdoor theatrical performances have taken place in this area, with actors gathering from the whole country. The celebrational march from Biedribas building, the centre of Lubana, to Zaķu Vecaine, where all the musicians, actors and other important persons gathered, was an integral part of the process.The Volunteer firefighter’s orchestra was on the front, leading the march by playing marches and folk songs. The other participants were marching right behind. Unfortunately, Zaķu Vecaine was demolished 70 years ago sometime in July, 1944. The German army dug trenches on the right coast of Aiviekste. Many lindens and oaks were cut down on the Aiviekste’s left coast to provide better visibility to german troops.
Lubāna Old Cemetery
For centuries, the old cemetery of Lubāna town has treasured old legends: about the mortuary as a chamber of bones and the gravestone of the organist Bernhard Stamm.
Interments in this cemetery were carried out the 1960s. In the Old Cemetery lie the bearers of the Order of Lāčplēsis Jānis Rullis (1898-1950) and Jānis Ziediņš (1896-1940), as well as several soldiers who fought in the Latvian War of Independence: Augusts Vīksne (1897-1920), Konrāds Ērglis (1891-1919), Roberts Dzirkals (1892-1919), and Arvīds Augstmanis (1901-1920).
Folklorist Mārtiņš Celmiņš (1863-1936), photographer Alfrēds Grāvers (1877-1954), teacher Pēteris Alfrēds Šmits (1876-1949) and first pastor of Latvian nationality in Lubāna Lutheran church Augusts Peitāns (1823-1870) are also buried in this cemetery.
During the cemetery’s opening period (19th century), it’s gates were opposite to the old chapel, on the side of the river. The path that begins at the middle of the cemetery, opposite to the old chapel’s foundations, and reaches to the edge of the cemetery in the river’s direction, serves as the evidence of that. During that time, the road from Lubana’s castle-manor, right across the bridge, branched off to the right. This road went right by the edge of the cemetery, not far from the coast, to Ruzani, Jaunlubana and other settlements. From the beginning of 20th century, the old chapel has been used as a house of bones. In the old chapels, there always had to be a place to put new graves by digging up the bones of people long buried, because the burials were made in many layers. When the compartment or the box that resembled a coffin was full of bones, they were buried in a designated area at the cemetery. The whole process resembled a ritual, similar to funeral, where people were put to rest with the recital of holy scripture, the word of God.
Lubāna Catholic Church
The first Catholic Church worships in Lubāna began in 1934. They were hold by a priest from Barkava - M. Dukaļskis and took place in private homes, but since 1937 – in Lubāna Grammar School. Because of drainage of Lake Lubāns and dredging of the river Aiviekste, in Lubāna came in many workers with Catholic faith . The priest tried to prevent, that on Sundays the workers don’t drink away their wage and spend all the earned money, which were deeply needed in their homes and families, so M. Dukaļskis started to search for a new place to hold worships more often.
In 1938 engineer Antons Kursīts on their own expense bought an unfinished two-story wooden house on Brīvības (Freedom) Street 32. This house A. Kursīts gave to the Lubāna Catholic congregation. In this house priest M. Dukaļskis arranged an altar, provided it with icons, liturgical vessels and clothes and established the church. From this time in Lubāna Catholic Church worships are held in this building. There hasn’t been a permanent priest in Lubāna. Religious worships have always been held by Catholic priests from Barkava, Cesvaine, Madona or Gulbene.
The first reconstruction work in the church in 1961 carried out Dean J. Grišāns. He took example from a church in Rugāji - he took out space of the church ceiling and connected the whole room in one, supplemented church with presbyter, sacristy and choir room. These repairs attended Diures, Darbaki, Klūgas, Leoni, etc.
In 1974, priest J. Vaivods renovated the interior of the church.
In 2013, various exterior repairs were done, but in 2014 – interior repairs.
Priests, who have worked in Lubāna Catholic Church:
Dukaļskis Mikels 1934. – 1943. V
Grauds (Pizāns) Jānis 1940. 20. VI – 1943.17. V
Krumpāns Ļudvigs 1943.17. V – 1944. 12. X
Kokars Jōns 1944. 4. XI – 1947. 5. III
Zirnis Gregors 1946. 2. X – 1948. 15. X
Mičuls Jezups 1946. 2. X – 1951. 7. V
Lelobōrds Kazimirs 1948. 15. X – 1955. 28. XI
Gulgāns Jezups 1951. 1. IV – 1952. 19. V
Grišāns Jezups 1952. 23. IV – 1973. 7. XII
Vaivods Jānis 1973. X – 1974. 16. X
Čygons Roberts 1974. 16. X – 1977. 1. IX
Mičuls Jezups 1977. 1. IX – 1982. 23. IV
Mukāns Juris 1982. 23. IV – 1987. 22. XII
Cymanovskis Alberts 1987. 22. XII – 1997. IX
Zagorskis Juris 1997. IX – 1998. IX
Kornaševskis Jāzeps 1998. IX – 1999. IX
Rasnacis Rihards 1999. IX – 2002. 8. XII
Ozoliņš Māris 2002. 8. XII – 2010. 11. VII
Kazakevičs Andrejs 2010. 18. VII
Lubāna City school building
The town four-year school was opened on May 6, 1914. It was the first school on countryside, where was the possibility, that both gender can study together. Costs for the building were about 25 thousand rubles; it was a modern building and well provided with school supplies. In this school was also the opportunity to learn German, French and Latin languages. 1919 school changed into a secondary school, but already 1928 to a grammar school, which worked till 1938. Later there was opened a forestry school. Further the school is developing fast and becoming to a progressive and perspective school, which 1965 moves to a new building. After the boarding-house was closed, 1995 in the old school building moved in and started to work the Lubāna Children Art School and later also Branch Lubāna of Madona Children Music School. Right now the Lubāna City school building is in a critical shape and there are not any plans for renovation.
Memories of Jānis Liepiņš about his teachers
During the German occupation years in Lubāna Primary School special attention was attracted to two teachers, who were in their young years, so they had not been called up for the Legion yet. Both of them were born in Lubāna, but with different education: Valdis Lauva after finishing Lubāna Secondary School graduated Central State Pedagogical Institute in Jelgava, Jānis Ģēģeris - Malnava Agricultural High School. Already in the fourth course Ģēģeris was leading the high school choir with so much passion and competently, that school won the first place at Latgale Sing Festival playing Choir Wars in Rēzekne. Director Pēteris Sauleskalns asked, if Jānis Ģēģeris could assume new duties as choir leader right after graduating agricultural high school in 1927; the young boy agreed and after spending a little while at his father house, he started the work. Later he finished singing teacher courses at Jelgava Teachers' Institute and also improved himself various. 1931 the School Board certified Ģēģeris as a singing and physical education teacher.
Monument for meliarators
This monument is dedicated to the river dredgers or amelioration workers. The monument was created by Andris Briezis and in Lubāna was set in 2005 by an initiative from Elmārs Sauka, who made a documentary about amelioration works. The dredging works started in 1927 with the aim of preventing the spring flood damage. Dredging lasted 11 years and in that time from the river bottom was taken out more than 3 million m3 ground, so the water level in the lake decreased by approximately 0,4 m, but the duration for 6 – 8 weeks of overflow on flood-lands. The work in the river Aiviekste was done on the length of 70 km and achieved a straightening of 8 km. These works were carried out by theLake Lubāns adjustment work management, which at the time was led by Antons Kursītits, who earned the Three Star medal for his accomplishments.
„Spekonis” technical data
Ponton size – 34,4 x 12,8 x 2,44m
Boom lenght – 17,5m
Bucket capacity – 3m3
Two boilers total power - 130 hp
Dredger total weight – 420 t
In one shift of digging (3000 m3), it used 10m3 good wood
Dredger details without cost of installation works costed 283 000 lats
Photographer Alfrēds Grāvers almost continuously in 20th Centuries 1st half lived and worked in Lubāna. He was very known not only in Lubana buti n whole country.
Alfrēds Kārlis Grāvers was born in 23. October 1877 in house called „Branti”. A. Grāvers studied in Cepurītes parish –school, after that in Lubāna Ministry School. On september 1904. Grāvers started the official photographer's work, which lasted for the next half a century. He was very active and on 1. August 1909. on his house first floor was opened a book shop, which was popular for citizens of Lubāna and visitors too.
The photographer was invited to various important family moments - weddings, funerals, initiations. He was very extensive - photographed portraits and group shots as well as theater performances and Lubāna landscapes. A notable achievement is his often Lubāna lake flood observe. Thanks to him we can trace how was built many haouses of Lubāna and how Aiviekstes bridge was reconstructed.
Museum of Jānis Zābers
at his birthplace was opened 1973 only few months after his death on the singers birthday on 11th August. The memorial concert, which took place at a concert stage next to the house, was visited by more than three thousand listeners of all generations. For several years to remember the brilliant artist around his birthday time in his father`s house were concerts organized.
To create this public museum the initiative was taken by the singer’s friend, an assistant professor in Academy of Agriculture, a later academic Sigizmunds Timšāns together with a colleague from theater and opera Maigurs Andermanis. A great support gave the local collectives, Madona Local History and Art Museum in the front with Anna Rudenāja, also Zābers colleagues and friends.
Currently, Museum of Jānis Zābers "Vecais ceplis"(Old Brick- Kiln) is a private property of his family. The singer’s brother Miervaldis has a daughter Gunta Brieze, who takes care of the museum and property.
The Old Brick- Kiln was founded because of Baron Wolf. Jānis Zābers grandfather was a smart boy. The Baron offered him to go abroad to Austria and become a craftsman at brick-making. Kārlis agreed and went to study that handicraft. When he returned, Baron Wolf ordered him to live here and found a Brick-Kiln. The family Zābers lived there for over a hundred years.
With music Jānis was introduced by his father, when he was the first who gave him a violin. Jānis Zābers learned in Meirāni Elementary School, where a teacher M.Tetere encouraged him go further and develop his voice. 1954 Jānis Zābers got in Jānis Mediņš Music School. 1957 he enrolled at the Latvian State Conservatory. 1963 Jānis Zābers went to Rome Conservatory to professor Dž.Favareto, where he studied 5 months. While his staying in Italy, Zābers made a dream of a lot young opera singers came true and became a trainee at opera theater La Scala and a student of Dž.Barra. Since 1963 he had an intensive workload. When he was sick with the flu, he worked from home and was threaded there. Jānis Zābers died after a hard and difficult illness (brain tumor).
Widely known as a cableway bridge, this footbridge is waterworks building which is created to ensure pedestrian crossing facilities across the Pededze channel. Pededze channel created to solve the flood problem around Lubana. Both the channel and adjacent ditches, a dam and access road were built during the period from 1961 to 1963. Length of channel – 5,2 kilometres. The footbridge was built in 1968. Although initially there was a plan to build reinforced concrete bridge, which at the end was found to be inefficient. These construction works executed by Madona Amelioration Central Administration and operation manager Francis Valainis.
Footbridge total length - 60 m, width - 1 m.
(The total length of the footbridge – 60 m, width – 1m)
Permissible PRESSURE on the bridge - 200 KG!
The project of the bridge were epproved with this stamp.
Lubana’s Oak of Money
In Lubana’s neighbouring region of Meirani, there was a household that belonged to two brothers. It’s previous owner, their father, had recently died, leaving the house and the terittory it encompasses as well as a decent sum of money to his sons. One of the sons followed in his father’s footsteps, working tirelessly to maintain the property. The other son, however, was alot more carefree, carelessly spending the money he had inherited. One day, he supposedly went on a business venture, but he didn’t return. After two days, the hard working brother received a message that his wasteful brother was held in captivity and, in order to set him free, he had to pay ransom. The captors had set a date and time by which the money had to be left under a rock near a great oak that grew close to a highway near Moroza, Lustūzī.
The first brother wondered as to what he was supposed to do. The captured brother had to be saved. On the day of the exchange, the first brother put a harness on his horse, took the required amount of money and was on his way to the great oak. To insure his safety, the first brother had taken with him a bludgeon. As he was riding on the dangerous road, he constantly checked his surroundings for anything suspicious. Nothing seemed to be out of the ordinary. He reached the great oak just before dawn. Having placed the money at the designated area, he immediately got on his carriage and, in a quick canter, went straight home. However, just as he passed the first bend, the brother tipped out of his carriage into a ditch. He slept there quietly for some time, listening as his horse, carriage clattering, headed home. He took his bludgeon and carefully crawled back to the great oak and hid in a nearby bush. For quite some time he sat there until it was completely dark outside, calmly waiting. Then he heard silent footsteps. His eyes had already adjusted to darkness at which point he noticed that someone was coming. It was a man who was slowly moving in his direction. The man briefly stood on the highway right across the great oak and then swiftly went to the designated area, where the money was placed. The first brother now knew for certain, it was the nefarious person who was after the ransom. Seeing as he was alone, the first brother, without much thought, charged the man from behind and started bludgeoning and cursing at him. Having received many hits, the man started to plead: ‘’don’t hit me, don’t hit me, dear brother! Let me live!’’ The man had recognized his brother by his voice, leaving the first brother in shock. That’s how the devious brother’s plan to gain his father’s inheritance as well as the hard-earned money of his brother, failed.
Soon after that, news swiftly spread about the wicked intentions of the second brother as well as about their confrontation at the great oak. And, because of that, the locals soon started calling the oak near which it happened, the Oak of Money.
Ministry School of Lubana
In 1885 a Ministry School in Lubana was grounded on the basis of parish school. This was a common school for people from Lubāna and area of Meirāni. It was founded at a landlord`s manor house in area Ružāni. Right now it is a dwelling house, which has been completely renovated after a fire in April 1971. Till 1971 there was Lubāna Boarding School. Now days the building is used as an apartment house.
In 1909, in the two year Lubāna Ministry School worked three teachers: school administrator Ed. Balodis, later he worked as a professor of economic sciences, Kučāre and Teodors Priednieks. For various kinds of services was am old woman responsible. She was very unskillful and slovenly, so one day at a teacher’s council the decision was made to release her from these duties. Few days later after the old women received this message something happened - in an early morning the Russian Tsar's portrait was taken out of a classroom, brought to the kitchen, torn in four pieces and left on the ground. Students denied their guilt, and in the same morning teacher Balodis went to Cēsis to school inspector Bolotovs.
At that time in Lubāna was a warder (stražņiks) department and to the school came the department director together with his employees - he ordered to summon all of the students so a hearing can be made and the delinquent found. The teacher Priednieks also was questioned.
From Cēsis Balodis came together with Bolotovs. The warder leader who was polish once said that with Bolotovs everything can be settled quietly. Bolotovs was very worried about that: "He, polish nobility, can speak about me like this? About me - a real russian person!"
Soon the school received a document from Folk High Schools Directorate, that all three teachers are discharged - to a different office was moved also Bolotovs. P.Dievkociņš was appointed in his place. Kučāre left to her parents, Balodis got a place in a Latvian Parish School Vitebska as a teacher, also Priednieks worked as a home teacher at a manor house in Kārcava (near Vitebska).
Some months later there came gendarme’s colonel to questioner the teacher again. In the following year Priednieks worked at Cesvaine Parish School, from where he was called for an interrogation to area Birži. Interrogation was held by gendarme’s colonel from Riga. 1910 from Petersburg in Riga arrived the Chambers session and in a public hearing peruse this case. To the hearing were summoned all three teachers and two teachers Lorencs and Šmits who worked there before, as well as some students Ceimers and Torgāns. It came out, that 1909 in Lubāna School was opened an unauthorized library. Torgāns and Ceimers confessed that they created it.
All the teachers were justified, except Klāvs Lorencs, who later become a Member of Parliament - in the hearing he told a negative speech against the Russian Tsar. He was sentenced with three years and six months in prison. Also the under aged students were justified.
The old woman who was discharged before her death confessed to the priest that it was she who tore the Tsar's portrait because of revenge.
(A story from Jānis Krūmiņš collection - a Beekeeper in area Gaiziņš).
Railway station of Lubāna
Lubana is the terminus of a former railway line Madona - Lubāna, which was founded in 1935. This railway line Madona - Lubāna is closed. It was 35 kilometer long and was built as a broad gauge line with 1524 mm track gauge. It is closed since 1990. The railway line connected Madona with Lubāna, went through area Prauliena and area Indrāni, also a bit along the boarder from area Sarkaņi. In this railway line were 6 stations- Madona (which is still functional at the line Pļaviņas - Gulbene), Prauliena, Visagals, Meirāni, Jaunlubāna, Lubāna.
There was planned to connect this railway line with the continuation from line Rīga - Ērgļi and to build a railway line from Lubāna to Kārsava. However, these plans failed because of the occupation of Latvia in 1940 and the Second World War. During the war this railway line was damaged, but already in 1945 it was restored. In 1963 the line was closed for passengers.
2002 the railway line was transmitted to the town government. The final decision to close the whole line was made 2004. Because at the unused line occurred thefts, 2007 the railroad was removed.
The first train
On 16th November 1935 for inhabitants of Lubāna came the long waited and expected day - opening from the railway line Lubāna - Rīga to station Madona. To salute the train came also the pastor Mārtiņš Celmiņš together with his daughter Zigrīda. A lot of people came to see the first train coming, but from the excitement they become speecless when the train arrived. There were no cry of joy, even not a single one "urra" call, no one was waving a white handkerchief, as it used to be when loved and important guests were expected. So the train, quietly welcomed, rolled in the town like in a funeral, where loud glory and congratulations were forbidden.
Clearly, after that followed speeches from government representatives, also local people responses and songs - Latvian folk anthem „Dievs, svētī Latviju!” (God bless Latvia) and „Lai līgo lepna dziesma” (A song should sway), but the main impression of this day was very pale, without passion, joy and truth. (Pastor`s son Haralds Celmiņš wrote down, how this day was remembered by his father Mārtiņš Celmiņš).
The bridge over the river Aiviekste
The bridge over the river Aiviekste near Lubāna’s castle was destroyed after the World War I and the Latvian Liberation struggles. The technical division of Latvian army’s troop built a wooden bridge on the old stone pillars.
From 1936 to 1937 was built a new bridge over the Aiviekste in the lead of a businessman named A. Šķeņķis and according to engineer’s L. Francmanis project. The costs were about 13 thousand lats. Also stone pillars were reconstructed.
During Germans retreat in 1944, the bridge over the Aiviekste was detonated, 5 years after this accident worked a ferry opposite the former dairy to bring people over the river. 1948 on the former stone pillars was built a new wooden bridge with high mounts on the side.
Using these some stone pillars in 1964 a concrete bridge with tightened beams was constructed, but in 2002 the bridge was repaired, which cost 315 000 lats (state investment money). Reconstruction project was developed by a/s "Viator", but repairs were done by Smiltene’s a/s "8.CBR", which also performs the tarmac road reconstruction on road Jaunkalsnava – Lubāna in length of 10 km for 490 000 lats.
In this cemetery a Latvian colonel was reburied, the first Latvian troops commander Oskar Kalpaks, which undoubtedly has become a legend and a hero for the whole Latvian nation. The Colonel tombstone was made in 1927 by Kārlis Zāle and Arnolds Dzirklis.
At graveyard Visagals is also buried a Latvian poet Jānis Gavars, who published three collections of poetry. He is writing his poetry about a lot of Latvians and them in their daily life, when the war years have already passed by, but the memories are still alive.
In Visagals cemetery you can find one memorial stone for persons, who lived in this area. The memorial stone was completed on October 7th, 1989. On the gravestone are words engraved: „To those who were killed and tortured in war, to those who have stayed for forever in far and unknown graveyards, and to those who are missing.” The memorial stone was made by Andris Briezis.