Lubāna Old Cemetery
For centuries, the old cemetery of Lubāna town has treasured old legends: about the mortuary as a chamber of bones and the gravestone of the organist Bernhard Stamm.
Interments in this cemetery were carried out the 1960s. In the Old Cemetery lie the bearers of the Order of Lāčplēsis Jānis Rullis (1898-1950) and Jānis Ziediņš (1896-1940), as well as several soldiers who fought in the Latvian War of Independence: Augusts Vīksne (1897-1920), Konrāds Ērglis (1891-1919), Roberts Dzirkals (1892-1919), and Arvīds Augstmanis (1901-1920).
Folklorist Mārtiņš Celmiņš (1863-1936), photographer Alfrēds Grāvers (1877-1954), teacher Pēteris Alfrēds Šmits (1876-1949) and first pastor of Latvian nationality in Lubāna Lutheran church Augusts Peitāns (1823-1870) are also buried in this cemetery.
During the cemetery’s opening period (19th century), it’s gates were opposite to the old chapel, on the side of the river. The path that begins at the middle of the cemetery, opposite to the old chapel’s foundations, and reaches to the edge of the cemetery in the river’s direction, serves as the evidence of that. During that time, the road from Lubana’s castle-manor, right across the bridge, branched off to the right. This road went right by the edge of the cemetery, not far from the coast, to Ruzani, Jaunlubana and other settlements. From the beginning of 20th century, the old chapel has been used as a house of bones. In the old chapels, there always had to be a place to put new graves by digging up the bones of people long buried, because the burials were made in many layers. When the compartment or the box that resembled a coffin was full of bones, they were buried in a designated area at the cemetery. The whole process resembled a ritual, similar to funeral, where people were put to rest with the recital of holy scripture, the word of God.